My interest in this blog is primarily historical.

Friday, June 26, 2009

GREAT summer reading!

In case any of you are beaching it and looking for a summer read that is fun and fabulous but still has some literary merit :), let me please recommend as strongly as I can..

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

It is technically a young adult novel but I devoured it in a night. I laughed, I cried, I decided to make all of my rising 8th graders read it over the summer. It seriously is one of the most lovely books I've ever read (especially that's written from the perspective of a teenage boy).

And just in case my recommendation doesn't carry enough weight with you :), a committee of parents in Chicago recently formed to try to ban this book from the public schools. Book won--but how's a little controversy for a recommendation??

Also, today is officially my last day EVER of being a first-year teacher. EVER. Very exciting.

Happy summer!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! "Especially that's written from the perspective of a teenage boy"?? Are teenage boys not lovely, Sarah?

    Nice, I read some short stuff by him during our stint at UVA and liked it. Will have to try and check this out.

    I have only read two English books since I graduated. But for good reason! I'm pounding in the Japanese! I'm about halfway through my second Japanese novel!

    And congrats on the 2nd year teacherism! I'll hit that mark in about a month m'self. High five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik,

    Let's not kid ourselves about teenage boys. I spend 75% of my life around them, and you were one. I think that qualifies us both to know better.

    I also haven't really read any novels just for pleasure this year; I've become a chump who comes home and watches TV because my brain is too fried. :( I'm working on that this summer -- but this book is easy, I promise!

    And CONGRATS on making it through first year, and CONGRATS on reading Japanese novels! Impressive stuff! Update us all sometime!

    ~sarah

    ReplyDelete