My interest in this blog is primarily historical.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Friends and loneliness: or, An emo post

Though I haven't gone on any trips or started a job since graduation, I thought I'd write about my state of mind right now.  Jed's post about being lonely in Charlottesville really struck a chord with me, so I'll be a little self-indulgent here.  

The DC suburbs can be just as lonely as Charlottesville.  My parents are in Shanghai again, and my sister works full-time.  It's just my dog and I home alone every day.  I never could handle idleness well - sometimes, when I have too much time on my hands, I feel a little lost and adrift.  It's not a novel feeling, but I think these days the effect is amplified because of all the changes happening around me.

Right now I'm sitting in my room with nearly all of my worldly possessions spread out around me; I need to sort through them all and decide what to take to New York.  I've been putting it off because a) I hate packing more than any other chore and b) though I am excited to be working in New York, I'm just a little overwhelmed right now by the thought of everything I'm leaving behind.  Wow, am I being dramatic!  I think that's accurate though.

Some of the loneliness I feel now is temporary - after all, I'm meeting Amar in Africa in a few days!  However, the deeper part of it is that I'm still kind of scared that our friendships might fade with time or distance; it's a little of that sentiment/insecurity that makes me urge you all to write in this blog.  Anyway though, a lot was done to alleviate those fears yesterday, so I just wanted to acknowledge it.

Last night, Le-Anh, Bryan, and I did Tanked Tuesday (yes, I know it was Wednesday) in their new apartment.  Long story short though, I haven't had an easy time of things lately and ended up being sort of a party pooper.  Le-Anh and I have never, ever been the hugging types; we hug other people, but never each other.  I think we just decided long ago that for us, it's awkward.  But after knowing each other for ten years and not hugging the whole time, she broke the rule yesterday when I needed it the most.  That's when I knew that regardless of time, distance, or overly sentimental gushing, our friendship would be okay.

Enough.  My next post will be cheerier - after all, the next time I write, I'll be in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment