My interest in this blog is primarily historical.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Oh, she's just being Miley...

I win the award for posting too much, but this just had to be shared. I chaperoned the 6th-7th grade dance on Friday night, which I now believe is an experience that every one of you should have, at least once. Hilarious. Awkward. Old. These are all the things it made me feel. But in particularly I wanted you all (ok, really mostly Le-Anh) to know that when Miley Cyrus came on...it cleared the dance floor. Well, almost. It cleared the dance floor of students, leaving myself, the 7th grade math teacher, and the principal screaming and dancing in the middle, until we realized that we were the only ones singing and dancing, and we had always assumed this was a middle school song. Turns out they were much more excited by Rihanna and any merengue song the DJ could find (not to mention they were all better dancers than us). As an aside, I renew my argument that over-sexualized rap music is just plain wrong. I'm not advocating taking away anyone's free speech (I promise Amar), but in a perfect world, I would not see precious children who are still young enough to get excited about getting a sticker on their report card shouting out some of those words. I don't know what the solution is, because we don't live in a perfect world, but seriously, something's gotta give.

And they played Journey at the end, and the kids didn't know what it was. They thought it was a slow dance song. Sigh. I am old!

No comments:

Post a Comment