My interest in this blog is primarily historical.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The plea

"Diasporatic, alas, is dead. The only person who is still subscribed to it is Sarah Stuntz. She is also the only person who has posted anything on it with any kind of regularity. God bless her for that. BUT I AM NOT DAUNTED! I would like to try this again. I have started a new blog which I hope can be a sort of forum for us. I am determined to bring this group of friends into the 21st century. I will not ask you all to get Twitter accounts, but please subscribe to this blog and contribute whenever you can!
I think the failure of Diasporatic might have been that we set the bar too high for what is worthy of posting. I would like this new blog to be far less formal. You needn't write an essay (although feel free to do so!) You dont have to be sharing monumental, life-changing news in order to post. Rather, please feel free to post about anything and everything! Read an interesting article? Post a link and tell the group what you think! We will discuss it! Heard a particularly entertaining new song or seen a funny youtube video? Throw it up there and let everyone enjoy it together! And if you ever feel like writing an essay, God bless you - please do!
I think this can work. I believe this because as a group we are in more-or-less constant gmail communication as it is. If we can channel some portion of those email exchanges through this blog instead, we will achieve certain advantages. Chiefly, it creates a far more permanent record of our interaction as a group. Emails are transient. They disappear from our minds as soon as they are pushed off our home screen by newer messages. For reasons which I will enumerate in future posts, I have become very conscious of the importance of preserving communications between friends and loved ones. Friendships are precious, and whenever friends take the time to sit down and write to each other, no matter how briefly, it is a monumental act. Interactions which seem trivial in the moment become priceless when preserved and read later. I am hoping that this blog can help us create a more-or-less permanent record of our collective discourse. I know you guys are busy, but this is important! Trust me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment