My interest in this blog is primarily historical.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Airplanes

In Tampa right now and I have an early morning, but I'm too wired with the caffeine and the time change to go to sleep. Ergo, blog post.

On route here, two chance occurrences, well, occurred, and it forced me to call into question my recent traveling habits. In other words, I fly too much. Consider:

  1. Today, at cruising altitude, our plane banked. Fly enough and you will find that this is an unusual enough occurrence that your body instinctively recognizes it as such and lets your brain in on the fact. So I looked out the window. Today, for the first time, I have seen another plane flying, whilst myself flying in a plane. No, that's not precisely correct. That, in and of itself, is not out of the ordinary. Rather, I saw a plane no more than about 2-300 feet off our left wing and down a bit, flying in the opposite direction. We had banked to avoid this plane. Very cool: it was in the window for no more than about three seconds as it moved past at a relative airspeed of about 1200 MPH. However, midair head-on collisions are suboptimal, and it was therefore also very scary. I shall strive to avoid such situations in the future.
  2. I encountered a flight attendant who has attended to my needs on no fewer than four US Airways flights recently. I feel as though I am striking a bond with him. It is unnerving: these should be transitory experiences.
I really need to keep my butt on the ground longer than a week. This is starting to get scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment